The SECO Start-up Fund (SSF)
The SSF is a facility for development loans established by the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO. SSF offers loans for start-up projects of Swiss entrepreneurs or enterprises in emerging economies (economies under development or in transition). The management of the SSF is delegated to FINANCEcontact in Zurich.
What does SSF offer?
- loans for start-up business projects and for financing the first expansion phase of companies in emerging economies (see country list)
- to investors with domicile in Switzerland
- the financed projects must be commercially viable (SSF does not finance feasibility studies, pilots or prototype development) and meet recognized environmental and social standards
- maximum amount of the loan: up to two thirds of the investment costs in the target country; up to two times the amount contributed by the borrower/investor, up to CHF 500'000 (all three criteria must be fulfilled)
- for repayment within 7 years
What are the advantages of a SSF loan?
- Long-term financing with portable interest charges
- No dilution of ownership
- Unsecured loan – does not limit the possibilities for further bank financing
- Independent assessment of the business plan by the Experts Committee of SSF
- Network of Swiss representations in the target countries of the SSF
South East Europe
Africa and Middle East